Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Frugal Deacon - Episode 1: Paschal Candle

A Paschal Candle is procured every Easter and is lit during the service. Its flame symbolizing the eternal presence of Christ. It is common for congregants to light a small taper during the service from its flame to take with them. The candle is kept lit for services through Ascension Day, as well as used during the rest of the year during baptisms.

Like many church goods, however, Paschal Candles are often outrageously priced. The candlesticks can run into the hundreds. So since we are a small church I decided to make one myself.

I found a small kit online made by a company called Illuminated Ink.  Using a wick and few sheets of beeswax (as well as a decal) I smushed and rolled up this little number.  It also came with some additional stickers that I didn't think looked very good so I opted to leave them off. 

Traditionally 5 grains of incense are pressed into wax "nails" and are driven into the candle.  Unfortunately the kit did not contain those items rather it has some pins with rhinestones.  But I'd prefer to use the real thing.  Autom (a supply company I recommend) has the nails for a very reasonable price.  Perhaps I'll post another photo when I get them.

 It may not be the prettiest candle ever made, but I think it'll burn just as bright.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment